” CNN Town Hall in Iowa – Beto O’Rourke Pledges His Words and Actions ” – May 21, 2019.
Tonight’s CNN Town Hall featured the former Congressman from Texas, Beto O’Rourke, who announced his entry into the Democratic Presidential nomination bid on March 14 this year.
The Town Hall held in Des Moines, Iowa, was moderated by Dana Bash of CNN.
Fresh from his visit to the flood ravaged Davenport, Iowa, Beto O’Rourke took the stage to answer questions from the audience.
This is presenting three key aspects that emerged from the Town Hall engagement :
1. Beto O’Rourke’s Priorities : The Figure below represents Beto O’Rourke’s Priorities triad :
The triad has three elements – (a) A massive $ 5 Trillion proposal to combat Climate Change and signing the No Fossil Fuel Money Pledge that he hopes will alter any misperceptions that the citizens may have held against him. (b) A well crafted proposal to reduce ‘Gun Violence’ covering universal background checks; banning sales of assault rifles; a law enabling removal of firearms from people likely to cause a danger; active funding and research into gun violence – comprise the Chief components of what he promises to address for the benefit of the people of America and (c) Living in El Paso, an area close to the border, Beto O’Rourke feels strongly that his comprehension on the aspects of border wall to Immigration has been so lucid that he would always hold the “Comprehensive Immigration Reform” as one of his priorities ( Border makes America Great according to him ).
2. Beto O’Rourke’s Strategy : Figure below represents Beto O’Rourke’s Strategy :
(a) He is keen to promote democracy at home. It is not in his mind to embrace the strong men in the world and turn back our true allies. President Trump does that. I want to send a clear signal to all nations in this world that the future of this land is a Democratic one and not an autocratic one. My administration will do this. This is how we will restore ‘Global ‘Trust’. (b) His view on ‘Impeachment’ is crystal clear. He wants it to happen for the following twin reasons : it is the duty of the Congress to protect our Constitution; and lots of information that were withheld will come to the fore revealing a clear picture. There will be consequences and justice if we want to hold to democracy and that is why impeachment is necessary. It is also the only way to get accountability and justice. (c) United States will not fight any war unilaterally, much less the ‘Trade War’ with China. That China is up to creating hurdles of every hue to challenge the American stability and growth is well known. We need to have allies and the fight (Trade War) should be continued with support from allies.
3. Beto O’Rourke’s Leadership : Figure below represents Beto O’Rourke’s Leadership style succinctly –
Accountability, Unity, and Tough Decisions constitute his leadership triad. ‘Accountability’ comes from responsibility and Democratic dealings are the lynchpin promoting it. His support for increasing public schools ; support for legalising cannabis ; support for Social Security 2100 Act ; support for Minimum Wage ; support for public option in Medicare – all arise out of his desire to bring ‘Unity’ among People. ” If we play nicely by the set rules, we’ll end up with the same results ” says Beto O’Rourke also adding that we need to take ‘Tough Decisions’ to overcome the challenges we face today.
The best question tonight came from a lady, Dianne, a telecommunications lobbyist suffering from Multiple Sclerosis requiring every six weeks a remedial medical injection costing $ 21600 ; worrying constantly about their depleting savings ; trying to find a way out constantly without any success uptil now ; seeking to know what Beto O’Rourke would do to help her. It was an emotive moment evoking positive swirls in the minds of all people present. Beto O’Rourke’s response was equally emotional, concerning, and conciliatory. Vowing to control the prices of key drugs to reduce the expenses in such cases, he advocated strongly his proposed “Medicare for America” allowing every citizen on an employment based health insurance to keep that insurance if they wanted to, but it will move all uninsured, Medicaid covered, and newborn citizens to Medicare immediately. Stabilisation of insurance markets to improve the Patient Protection and ACA is his goal. The audience responded with big applause.
General points :
1. I witnessed people in audience responding enthusiastically, supportively, and favourably to every answer of Beto O’Rourke in this Town Hall with cheers and applauses acknowledging a stand out performance.
2. Long on issues and measures and short on specifics of achieving them, Beto O’Rourke may have to step up and accelerate by the time he prepares to meet with other candidates in debates.
3. His voice reflects and affirms his resolve and energy to take on any opponent with aplomb.
4. His social media skills give a source of confidence and power in this new age era, and can well put him on good stead in his campaign.
5. Earnest and eloquent, Beto O’Rourke kept the audience thoroughly engaged with his sharp, precise, and convincing ( as reflected from the cheers and applauses from the audience ) answers to all the questions.
” Hail Unity, Fail Division ” seems to be his core message to the people tonight.
” Dieu avec nous “
Wednesday, May 22, 2019 – 10.29 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” No one is born to be the President of the United States of America ; least of all me “. – Beto O’Rourke.