” President Donald Trump – Kim Jong Un handshake in DMZ, Korean Peninsula ” – June 30, 2019.
From G-20 Summit in Japan to the DMZ and meeting Kim Jong Un in “Truce Village” on the border has been “historic” – no less than the ‘historic’ Election of Donald Trump as US President himself. This marks more than just a special credit to be the first sitting US President to visit the DMZ, an event that America, South Korea, North Korea, Kim Jong Un, and President Donald Trump himself will be extremely proud of.
The meeting lasted for an hour.
A summit meeting between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in June 2018 in Singapore ; a second summit meeting in February 2019 in Hanoi, Vietnam ; and now a third meeting on June 30, 2019, in DMZ – all signify progress in a way signalling the change in relationship between the two unpredictable leaders. It appears that President Donald Trump’s efforts seem to be overshadowing the earlier diplomatic relationships of 1994 and 2003 – a big positive.
” It is a great day for the World ; and it is an honour for me to be here ; a lot of great things are happening ” – President Donald Trump said about his meeting with Kim Jong Un.
President Donald Trump also described the relationship between US and North Korea as “very, very dangerous” before he took Office as President.
” Good to see you again ; I never expected to meet you at this place ” – Kim Jong Un, North Korea, said about the meeting.
1. Even while North Korea pursued its missile launching program after the Hanoi summit between the two leaders, the present meeting comes as a pleasant change in relationship between the two unpredictable leaders.
2. While the analysts may be discepting whether this meeting will lead to a third summit meeting between the two leaders, the sign of that unveiling itself is getting really strong.
3. Quite significant is the fact that the word ‘denuclearisation’ has not been heard anytime during the entire event is what may have perplexed many.
4. Aides on both sides will be motivated to work because of the importance that it has achieved now can be the first outcome.
5. This will also be likely the “third time lucky” scenario fructifying the long winded diplomatic efforts, and finding to close the large gap existing in expectations of the two leaders.
What can be the real progress then ?
To resume further negotiations between the two countries ; to take relationships to a new level ; and to discuss denuclearisation of North Korea, and some relaxation of sanctions by the USA.
‘Something that has not been accomplished previously by anyone’ – may well be the final say.
” Dieu avec nous”
Sunday, June 30, 2019 – 5.49 p.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” Big moment, tremendous progress” – President Donald Trump.