No masks almost and sitting close to each other as in normal circumstances, a gathering of 2000+ in the South Lawn of White House, much like a rally usually perceived as unusual in the present circumstances, the use of WH for political purposes – would probably assure President Donald Trump a place in history expecting that people will know their places and while pushing reporting to take place next only to the grand finale to the Republican National Convention.
If this serves as a harbinger to the growing trend of declining political ethics or a new fashion likely becoming popular in future will be worth watching. President Donald Trump has, nevertheless, become a ‘trend setter’ without a doubt.
President Donald Trump delivered a powerful acceptance speech exhorting his party men through the recorded accomplishments of his four years while downplaying in critical terms the arguments advanced by the Democrats, and Joe Biden in particular.
Growing economy, increasing job opportunities, wage increases, tax cuts putting more money in people’s pockets, benefiting investments, refusing to back down against criticisms and making borders secure (300 miles of border wall already completed with 10 miles each week underway ), 300 federal judges plus 2 new Supreme Court justices, prosperity to inner cities, prison reforms, funding for black colleges and universities, rebuilding military from the badly depleted state, modernising the defense sector, modernising the economy, strengthening the federal government, reversing the damages done in the last four to five decades, making new deals benefiting America, brokering the landmark peace deal between Israel and UAE recently, shifting the embassy to Jerusalem in Israel, bringing troops back from war torn areas, standing up to China and Russia, severe sanctions on North Korea causing them to stop nuclear testing any further, strengthening relationships with like-minded nations, destroying ISIS and eliminating Al Baghdadi, eliminating Iran’s Suleiman – are all highlighted during his speech on occasions and some repeatedly in emphasis.
“Power behind the powerless, and voice behind the voiceless” has been the chief message effectively conveyed.
His speech also had resemblances to that of Abe Lincoln in some moments : 1. His aim of abolishing religious differences can be compared to Abe Lincoln’s resolve to abolish slavery ; 2. His aim of delivering on promises with no compromise whatsoever to Abe Lincoln’s promise of ‘no compromise on slavery’ ; and 3. He will, if elected, will do what he can and what he feels as good for the people, compares well to Abe Lincoln’s : ” I desire to conduct the affairs of the administration that if in the end I have no friends, I will still have one deep inside me, in my own voice”.
That President Donald Trump could keep his promises delivered might be the greatest comforting factor at this juncture.
In a scathing attack on Biden-Bernie manifesto, he completely dismissed their claims of creating a better future for Americans. “If Biden is elected, no American will be saved” – averred Donald Trump forcefully. Distinguishing between himself and Biden deeply, Donald Trump had this to say firmly : ” Biden for Made in China ; and Trump for Made in America”.
Figure below represents his predicament before promise succinctly :
He is faced with the triple challenges of COVID pandemic, Hurricane Laura destruction, and Kenosha violence. He finds himself in the most awkward predicament with the plight of the people requiring to be cared for more than ever before. This is the time that requires strong faith in Leadership that will put the “public first” and ensure that government officials do their best morally, ethically, and socially. A time requiring Unity, and a time testing the efficiency and effectiveness of actions taken. ‘Proof of the pudding is in the eating’ and who will steal the show in terms of ‘healing’ will be watched. This is also the time when ordinary citizens can prove their extraordinary possibilities to the leaders – of both parties. Which party scores in this test needs to be seen.
President Donald Trump called for people to choose between “American Dream” and a “Socialist Agenda” ; between the ” Torch that lights the world ” and ” the one cloaked in darkness ” ; between ” bold vision and bright future ” and ” destruction, dismantling, and disappointment “.
President Donald Trump seems to know the priorities of people clearly is evidenced by his speech tonight.
” Dieu avec nous “
Friday, August 27, 2020 – 10.19 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” Washington, DC has not changed Donald Trump ; Donald Trump has changed Washington DC ” – Ivanka Trump.
Day 3 of the Republican National Convention opened with a prayer for protection of the lives of Citizens by Rabbi Shubert Spero.
Hurricane Laura, and Kenosha violence strike at our hearts.
VP, Mike Pence, accepting his renomination to the post of Vice President and his Speech was the main piece of event tonight.
1. Mike Pence :
Two factors strengthened his appeal to the sense of freedom, liberty, and justice combining the importance of the incidents of Hurricane Laura and Kenosha violence. First, Mike Pence’s speech from Baltimore, Fort McHenry, which holds the pride of defending the place from the British in the War of 1812 marking the birth of the Star Spangled banner assuming special strength in terms of American strength and values ; and Second, Mike Pence’s role in Coronavirus pandemic control measuring upto expectations and what more precautionary and preventive measures to combat the spread now.
Two factors in the background that made his appeal tricky were the Hurricane Laura threat and the Wisconsin, Kenosha, violence.
Mike Pence’s Speech was full of highlights and substance to draw the attention of the people.
It was full of matters of substance and relevance ; it was full of the sense of achievement of the last four years ; it was full of how President Donald Trump delivered on his promises ; it was full of potentials that hold for more in future ; and it was full of reassurances to those suffering and the needy.
Mike Pence also spent time attacking the actions of Joe Biden while recording every achievement of Donald Trump. ” While Joe Biden sees darkness, we see American Greatness ” , he said to the cheering audience and viewers. There were 130 people sitting before him and listening intently . Life, liberty, freedom, and flag are our ideals that remain true, he affirmed.
Support, rescue, response, and recovery to the families affected in Hurricane Laura will be swift is the assurance that would have comforted people now. “This is what Americans do, and we are with you”, – words of the moment from VP.
Sharply criticizing Joe Biden for not citing a single word on violence in his speech last week, Mike Pence said : ” Violence must stop ; Whether in Minnesota or Wisconsin ; Law and Order on the streets of America ensured for Americans of every creed and colour “.
He accepted his nomination with the grace of God thanking President Donald Trump for the gratitude and confidence reposed in him.
Hailing the American army as the ‘ Heroes of the Nation’ , he made strong references to President Donald Trump’s contribution in terms of rebuilding the military with funds and resources, making Veteran’s Service available for every veteran in America , and initiating the United States Space Force, the first creation by any President in history.
Israel, UAE peace accord ; moving the American Embassy to Jerusalem in Israel ( a great recognition of Israel in 26 years ) ; unleashing American Energy ; posting 250 judges to federal courts ; creation of 500000 manufacturing jobs ; and lowest unemployment rate for women in 65 years on this 100th year of celebrations of Women’s right to vote – are the accomplishments recorded.
Conducting 800000 COVID tests per day ; getting 100000 ventilators ready in 100 days ; developing therapeutics and convalescent plasma for COVID-19 treatment ; and the World’s first strong and safe Vaccine finding its use by the end of this year – are also cited.
The sense of achievement was flowing from his words – when even a small success can give and make anyone proud.
” He pitched for re-election with strong words to the effect : ” Choice is whether America remains America.”
It was a speech of “Mission Accomplished” citing a host of accomplishments marking the nearly 4 year period of the President.
2. “President Donald Trump is keen on solving the problems with the help of reason and concern as importantly as one holds religious beliefs” – was clearly brought about by Karen Pence, Kellyanne Conway, and Kayleigh McEnany while describing their experiences in life. Stressing Donald Trump’s interests to ‘humanize’ the system in every sector for the benefit of people united by a sense of common humanity, they hailed him as the “Champion” of humanism.
3. Lou Holtz, Michael McHale (National Association of Police Organisations); Madison Cawthorne, NC Congressional candidate who is partially paralyzed ( if elected he will become the youngest Congressional representative in history at 25 years ); Jack Brewer ; Sam Vigil ; and Clarence Henderson are the others who spoke of President Donald Trump’s Leadership as needed now. Lara Trump, Donald Trump’s senior adviser ; and Rep Elise Stefanik (R) NY; made a strong case for Donald Trump’s re-election in November.
Conclusion : 1. The convention was full of testimonials from speakers on behalf of the President’s Qualities of Care, Compassion, and Humanitarianism to Women and African Citizens. 2. History chooses its heroes according to the circumstances and requirements. Will Donald Trump be the leader that Americans likely choose now ? 3. While he had his role clear to steer the Coronavirus pandemic control Actions, it remains to be seen if he can steer the public conversation and perception away from doubts and force some steer on this till the Election day. 4. Francis Scott Key was inspired to write the US National Anthem in Fort McHenry ; Will the Citizens be inspired by the speech of Mike Pence from the Fort McHenry while voting ?
” Dieu avec nous “
Thursday, August 27, 2020 – 10.29 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : “. We will make America Great Again ” – Mike Pence.
A period that opens new vistas and new windows of Opportunities ; An opportunity to choose new options knowing well that you lose some benefits of other options ; Taking the offerings made and to be made at the most opportune moment ( at a time of strikes by the opportunistic infection, COVID-19 ) in the life of Citizens ; Taking the offerings as a unique opportunity for citizens to listen to a host of people in several sectors of economy ; and taking the advantage of an opportunity from a Convention organised in a planned manner – sums up the second day’s proceedings.
Key takeaways :
1. Agriculture, dairy farms, and fishing activities stole the opening statements and progress tonight. Jason Joyce, a Lobster fisherman from Maine ; Cris Peterson, a Dairy farmer from Wisconsin ; described how the economic boom helped farmers and agriculturists during the last 4 years. Equating agriculture to the military they recognised the actions of the government from over regulation to deregulation and fair trade as having contributed immensely to this sector.
2. Larry Ludlow, White House Chief Economic Adviser, briefly invoked the strides made in manufacturing, technology, and agriculture during the period expressing confidence in a ‘V’ shaped recovery soon. He painted a glowing picture of the advancements in the last 3 years.
3. John Peterson, Wisconsin business owner, praised the smart, fast, and dependable leader that the country has now in Donald Trump ; Cissie Graham Lynch, cited freedom and exercise of it as the virtue of the nation.
4. Pam Pondi, (R) former Florida Attorney General, charged Joe Biden’s ” deliberate pattern of conduct” in promoting his family members through benefits from countries like China and Russia as inappropriate. Instead, Donald Trump will make this the Land of Opportunity for everyone.
5. Tiffany Trump, daughter of Donald Trump, blaming division and controversy breeding profit as the chief curse now, lamented the growing threats to the ‘freedom’ of people of this country. America is the only country where ‘dream’ is attached, she said. Fighting for Citizens, fighting for changes, and uncompromising actions are the qualities that need support at this critical period – and Donald Trump needs to be voted in favour to sustain those qualities.
6. Governor Kim Reynolds, (R) Iowa, placed farming as the strength of the nation praising the government as one of actions and outcome called America as a Land of milk and honey for anyone prepared to work hard with Honesty, Integrity, and Sincerity.
7. RNC video with VP, Mike Pence, tracing the vision of Freedom as enunciated by Abe Lincoln added that Donald Trump is the President who is striving hard to sustain it in these difficult times. He also showered accolades on him for illuminating every town, locality, and city with opportunities. Well taken, well scripted, well illustrated, it will be received well by citizens.
8. Lt Gov Jeanette Nunez, (R) Florida, traced Socialism as the cause for destruction of equality, freedom, and innovation. Socialism is not for opportunity and America will never be a Socialist country – she emphasized.
9. President Donald Trump presided over a “naturalisation ceremony” for five nationalities including Bolivia, Lebanon, India, Sudan, and Ghana.
10. Eric Trump, Executive VP of Trump Organisation, : His talk was a mix of Donald Trump’s accomplishments ; Joe Biden’s failures ; and his father’s (Donald Trump’s) love and respect for all his family members. His father will always fight for what is right and he will fight for all citizens was how he sought to persuade the voters. His talk will be remembered for : (a) being the best from Trump family members ; and (b) for stating what none has stated uptil now – ” Donald Trump will send Americans to Mars “.
11. Daniel Cameron (R) Kentucky Attorney General : Carrying the mantle of Eisenhower and Reagan is important for him and to the Party of Lincoln. His mother’s words, “we share our burdens and celebrate our successes” will always be ringing in his ears.
12. Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State, averred that Securing Peace is the fundamental requirement for Freedom to live, work, and leisure. He cited the Peace Deal between Israel and UAE ; ISIS being wiped out ; NATO getting stronger ; Ukraine having developed weapons systems ; Tough stand on China and North Korea ; Embassy in Jerusalem ; as examples of Donald Trump’s accomplishments.
13. Melania Trump, First Lady : This was a speech that needs to be commended for all what anyone will look for in a speech on this occasion. She had the full measure of what the people wanted and delivered them in the most appropriate manner. She also made up for whatever she failed to do earlier, four years ago.
She was confident that Donald Trump will not do anything until he has everything clear before putting it to practice. Her topics covered : COVID-19 pandemic cure ; First responders and doctors/associates in intervention actions ; Natural disasters and Control ; Students and Children education ; Opioid and drug addiction ; Racial history – were all relevant to the settings in our times now, and her words that she was deeply moved by the strength of the people and work in tackling issues must have resonated well with the viewers.
Her 25 minute performance was perfection without any onslaught of abuse(s) against any individual or party.
” Dieu avec nous “
Wednesday, August 26, 2020 – 10.39 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” Create jobs, create opportunities, expand work, promote innovation – are the keys to national growth “.
Amidst the general sense of great curiosity and the thick air of expectations, both within the party and its base, the Republican National Convention kicked off tonight in great style.
That the First Day tried to strike a right balance between proving inclusivity to spreading the message of American values and beliefs was clear.
That President Donald Trump, has so far, managed to outmanoevre and outsmart his rivals and critics was also clear. As impressive as it can be at this moment , final judgement can, however, be drawn only at the end of the 4th Day and chiefly by the American citizens.
There were coups de maitre full of the session tonight. I pick the following as significant delivering good news with clear messages of the nation’s importance :
1. To open the Convention night with a video full of American Promise, and Heroes plus speeches by three sets of individuals – (Charlie Kirk, Founder, Turning Point, America and 26 year old Student Leader; Rebecca Friedrichs, a School Choice Advocate, a school teacher for 28 years in CA ; and Tanya Weinreis, a Small Business Owner benefited from PPP loan ) was nothing a short of a dream act. Implying in that opening also hidden, probably, is the “Mission” of the Republican Party in terms of “Education, Schools, and Small Businesses “. Truly a great beginning.
2. Ronna McDaniel, Chairwoman, Republican National Committee, niece of Mitt Romney, talked about what is ‘not nice’ with Joe Biden – referring to the likely tax increases if elected ; jobs (oil and gas) out of industry ; being soft on China .. which are all counterproductive. Re-election of Donald Trump will mark the new Chapter in American History is her message.
3. A video highlighting the Promises Kept and Delivered was a fine creation emphasizing the Land of Promise that America stands for and was thoughtful to elevate the mood of viewers.
4. Speech by Amy Ford, a registered nurse; a Video on Coronavirus actions ( with the key message of Safe, Stronger, and Greater than ever); and a Speech from Dr GE Ghali, Louisiana surgeon, glowingly propagating that “regulatory responses” are more important ; testing, diagnosis, and vaccines going beyond some regulatory barriers ; expanded access to convalescent plasma ; Remdesivir authorisation – constituted the swift choices by this Administration. The video portrayed in an excellent manner the sequence of events of the China Virus ; travel bans imposed immediately; and the drugs and vaccines as measures of control ; use of face masks and social distancing ; lockdown and other actions. A telling Observation(s) and Argument(s) on the state of the Coronavirus pandemic and control by this Administration.
5. President Donald Trump’s speech with frontline workers helped reinforce the actions, spontaneous and gradual, taken after the COVID-19 outbreak, valued and substantiated by the frontline workers. Aim here is to boost the confidence of the Citizens and to get the fear out of their minds.
6. Herschel Walker, former NFL player, speaking against national anthem protests by athletes and players ; Vernon Jones, (D) Georgia State House Rep, the democrat supporting Donald Trump, in the strong belief that he supports free people with free minds ; Andrew Pollack, (his daughter died in the Parkland shooting ) advocating strong school safety measures as Donald Trump envisages ; Mark and Patricia McCloskey, St Louis, the homeowner who waved guns at Black Lives Matter protesters in front of their home, calling for strong home safety measures – all make good cases for important plans and programs for the Party.
7. President Donald Trump’s second appearance tonight in the Diplomatic Room, White House, with people freed from various countries stressing his ‘Concern’ for people must have made a big impact on the viewers.
8. Kimberly Guilfoyle, National Chair, Trump Victory Finance Committee, gave a forceful speech dwelling on the Inadequacies of Joe Biden visa vis the Strengths of Donald Trump in a manner that will be remembered for long.
9. Nikki Haley, former US ambassador to the UN, former South Carolina Governor ; and Donald Trump Jr., Executive Vice-president of Trump Organisation : While both succeeded in painting with a broad brush the works of Democrats, they failed in taking the excellent opportunity – to speak of the empathetic relationship with family in Donald Trump Jr.’s case; and the sensitive and understanding picture of relationship with President Donald Trump in the case of Nikki Haley. They frittered away the precious time offered even while speaking authoritatively.
10. Senator Tim Scott, (R) South Carolina, proved a stark contrast with the right points hammered in a measured way. ” Shoot for the moon, even if you are to miss ; you will be with the stars “, probably quoting his mother and stealing the limelight.
Conclusion : 1. It was a show of force and strength. It was showmanship at its best . It was Time Management at its precision. It certainly would have captured the attention of citizens and entertained them too. 2. The aim to create a fresh public image closer to the real person that he is (President Donald Trump), perceived strongly by his base may have been accomplished to some degree tonight. 3. That America under Republicans will hold great appeal to citizens – from the proceedings of this event tonight may be 50/50. While there are some sprinklings of policy and programs, not explicitly though, there may be answers to all these in the coming three days.
” Dieu avec nous “
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 – 10.19 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” This administration achieved ‘rocket speed economic growth’ before the Coronavirus outbreak ” – Donald Trump Jr.
American Presidential Election 2020 is the most critical election in its modern history, not just for the nation (America) but also to the world because of its potential to play a critical role in the overall health of the economy ; technology ; and military. American Citizens will be making their once-in-a-lifetime decision in this election that will shape the future of the world.
The two major parties, Republican and Democratic, have reached their potential crossroads placing them in a quandary to choose their policy options clearly. The parties have little time to do the analysis needed to come out with a clear Strategy – Democratic National Convention is already over without spelling out a clear single point vision for its direction, and the Republican National Convention in the coming week also lacking the time needed.
The Programs and Plans that they have so far presented to the analysts, media, and people are all “reactive” (which rests on adapting to change) and not “proactive” (which rests on initiating the change).
There are three main points that need consideration in this respect as given in the figure below :
(a) Expect the Unexpected : Economy (including jobs, growth, and welfare) and COVID-19 pandemic control are the two major factors expected to play a role in terms of the general perception of people in this election. With the COVID-19 outbreak, itself marked as an unexpected event, its control remains a perplexing problem. It raises the confusion and worries more than submerging them. Mandating facemask wearing, and a Complete shutdown proposed by the Democratic Presidential Nominee, Joe Biden, is not just ambitious but backbreaking and bothersome. It will be the most arduous journey in the imementation process for any individual. There are some reports that a Super Vaccine will be ready by November 3, 2020, with FDA fast-tracking the process of trials of validity and efficacy, about which President Donald Trump is optimistic is a hopeful sign, until it makes its way in the open. This is the “Unexpected” that both parties are struggling with.
(2) Anticipate Uncertainty : Uncertainty lingers large in respect of the process of voting being foolproof ; uncertainty lingers about the future of the life and livelihood of the Citizens ; uncertainty lingers about the clear course of direction that either leader (Donald Trump and Joe Biden) will take in their own minds ; uncertainty lingers about the magnitude of tempers that have already began to fray among candidates/aides of either parties ; uncertainty lingers about the feelings and safety of people during voting ; and to cap it all, uncertainty lingers about the declaration of the winner within days of voting coming to a close. The situation is unprecedented in the nation’s modern history. Who will take control ; who will gain control ; who will lose control ; and who will maintain control of the situation in case a potential emergency develops requiring urgent action to make it less severe and mild is still a doubt in the minds of Citizens. President Donald Trump’s announcement to involve law enforcement personnel, police, attorneys, and even attorney generals before, during, and after election day appears comforting without raising the comfort level of Citizens significantly. It requires high standards of discipline from the parties,and the public in a disciplined effort from the Election Managers/Administrators. Both the parties have a major role to play in this.
(3) Align with changing conditions : In parallel with the changing conditions of this election (mail-in voting) the attitudes of people towards the election itself should witness a dramatic change this time to make it a success. First, the actions of Presidential and Vice-Presidential nominees of both parties from now on should inspire and raise public confidence. They should be the torchbearers for “Clean Election” with mutually agreed plans ; clarifying any doubt raised by the Citizens by themselves or through media, analysts ; and making people confident in the ability of Election Managers/Administrators to handle anything thrown at them. Both the contesting leaders should prepare and organise Programs (even unconventional/virtual) to increase the trust, belief, and faith in them even while persuading with inducements to vote without fail in the election. Nobody should fear for safety or his/her life in voting. Like the management and employees coming to an agreement while resolving a problem, the two major parties should come to some agreement on this. “How” is the main task to be evolved. Donald Trump being an astute businessman and politician can get an advantage in this respect.
It will also be interesting to observe the proceedings of the Republican National Convention for the following 7 factors :
(a) Vision and Mission relevant to the situation of the day ; (b) Plans and Programs with proactive identification of opportunities as perceived by the speakers ; (c) Efforts to empower employees in general ; (d) Empathy and Concern displayed by the Presidential and vice-presidential nominees ; (e) Ability to influence Organisations and Perceptions of Citizens ; (f) Donald Trump differentiating himself from Joe Biden ; and (g) Growth and Recognition of the Party.
Success mantra lies in ” leading from zero” which effectively means that the party will put aside all the thread and thrum, and start from a fresh baseline – from zero upwards. “Let go of the past ; free yourself from failures and disappointments ; and start embracing new perspectives – just like one does on a New Year day” – failure is not falling down, but staying down.
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end – will this come true for Donald Trump or Joe Biden ?
“Dieu avec nous”
Sunday, August 23, 2020 – 6.29 p.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” Can this be a new beginning for a clean sweep?”
In a once in four years Convention that will be marked by the installation of the Party’s Presidential Nominee, the Republican National Convention 2020 will be held between August 24 and 27, 2020.
Donald Trump, the existing US President from the Republican Party will hold control as the Party Nominee until his nomination on the 24th of August. His acceptance Speech is scheduled for August 27, 2020. Donald Trump has his claim to the crown justified both in terms of delegate power and popularity at this juncture.
This is also the time when the Party’s Platform is ratified and rules adopted. In the 2016 Convention in Cleveland, Ohio, Donald Trump garnered 69.8% of delegates and won with a total of 1725 (out of 2472) with a required simple majority of 1237. It was the lowest % of delegates won by a Republican since 1976. On July 19, 2016, he was formally nominated. Platform was Conservative reflecting the party’s ideals.The Platform was approved by voice vote even after Giovanni Cicione of Rhode Island resisting it saying that the 60 page platform to be made into a short 2 page ‘statement of principles’ avoiding controversial issues like same sex marriage …
Primarily to serve as a tremendous welcome boost to the Presidential Nominee, the Party, the delegates, the participants, and the American Citizens as a whole – this event is expected to be a morale booster to the people ; confidence booster to the contestants ; policy and platform booster to the speakers ; and not the least, a sure ego booster to the Nominee.
That the political platform of the party with adoption of rules will be unveiled holds the key to the steps the party will likely take to solve the problems of the people when elected.
COVID-19 crisis has turned the end in a manner never seen before earlier. It will be a Virtual Convention like the one Democrats had this week with events, speeches, and entertainment taking place in remote places while being livestreamed.
Day 1 of the event this year will be in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Monday August 24, 2020, with the other days in Washington DC plus events in other places as well. Acceptance Speech of VP Nominee, Mike Pence, will be on August 26 ; and the Acceptance Speech of the Presidential Nominee, Donald Trump, will be on August 27.
As in the case of the 2016 Convention, each day will focus on a specific theme as below :
August 24 – Land of Heroes ; Make America Safe Again in 2016.
August 25 – Land of Promise; Make America Work Again in 2016.
August 26 – Land of Opportunity ; Make America First Again in 2016.
August 27 – Land of Greatness; Make America One Again in 2016.
Titles of 2016 possibly reflecting what the Party wanted to achieve if elected ; and titles of 2020 possibly reflecting what the Party would like to sustain. A fitting tribute to the Citizens on a fitting occasion.
Prominent Speakers of this Convention are likely to be :
Former UN Ambassador, Nikki Haley ; House Minority Leader, Kevin McCarthy ; Florida Lt Governor, Jeanette Nunez ; South Dakota Governor, Kristi L Noem ; Senator Tim Scott, (SC) ; Senator Joni Ernst (Iowa) ; Jared Kushner, Top aide and Trump’s son in law ; Ivanka Trump, Adviser and others.
Beyond the pomp and circumstances of the 2016 Convention, it fell short in terms of many wants in organising efforts. The 2020 Convention being unconventional in unusual circumstances may not be everybody’s cup of tea either. Experience can shape it better this time.
The two strong points that the Republicans have been so proud of and expecting to make a big gain this time – Economic growth and Safety – have taken a beating, specially, in the last six months due to COVID-19 pandemic putting the “Strategy Management Team” searching for new ideas.
Figure below represents the strategy that I suggest :
There are three elements represented in this triad.
First, “Turning adversity into advantage” , I think the success will lie in turning the adversity to one’s advantage smartly. The nation in adversity should be the compelling factor to make Citizens stick together with the present Government and not speak out against favourable tide of opinions. Second, “Motivation”, every action and program proposed and spoken in this Convention should be accompanied by a full motivation, inspiring people to work effectively without self interest. And Third, the Convention should be a true reflection of “Togetherness” even as it means borrowing heavily from the Democrats’ theme. The Convention needs to be well organised, efficient, and make everyone feel confident.
Challenging moments need challenging answers. Republican National Convention 2020 faces the biggest challenge posed by COVID-19 for a rewarding reign, for its second term.
” Dieu avec nous “
Saturday, August 22, 2020 – 11.49 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” The Republican Party is ready for the fray”.
Just like the Day 4 of the Democratic National Convention in 2016 could be divided into two sections – a section comprising a sequence of speeches on “faith, morality, and patriotism” from a host of individuals as Governors, female Hispanic sheriff in U.S.A., veteran military general, medical honour recipients, father of Muslim Soldier who sacrificed his life – all supporting Hillary Clinton, the Presidential nominee then, and another section comprising the highly efficacious nomination speech by Hillary Clinton ; this 4th Day of the Democratic National Convention of 2020 also featured two sections – a section comprising a sequence of speeches primarily on the kind of Leadership needed at this critical juncture sans medical honour recipients, Hispanic celebrities, Muslim military personalities and the likes but interspersed with videos and clips of songs, narration, and opinions from specific individuals, and another section featuring videos of Joe Biden’s life, Steph Curry and daughters, Joe’s grand daughters with Joe Biden’s nomination speech as the grand finale to the event.
Tom Perez, Democratic National Committee Chairman, opened the 4th Session of ideas and experiences citing “Coming Together” as the main purpose, the meaning of Convention, asked for building a movement, building ballots, for building a Change.
A brief video show on Cancer Moonshot, something dear to the heart of the Presidential nominee followed. Will this become the most favourite program of the President, if he gets elected is what goes through everybody’s mind.
Gov Gavin Newsom, (D) CA, advanced the conversation of Climate Change which is linked to Mother Nature. He praised the contribution of Barack Obama and Joe Biden for the Vehicle Emission standards. Common welfare is rooted in Environmental Protection, according to him. He has built his case for Joe Biden’s election.
Andrew Yang, (D) Former Presidential candidate, mentioned Joe Biden’s fight for the Promise of America adding that our government will rise to the challenges of times with a change of new Leadership and new ideas.
Senator Chris Coons, (D) Delaware, admired and extolled the “faith” and respect for all individuals that make Joe Biden, a Servant Leader, and the best fit for President at this moment.
Mayor, Keisha Lance Bottoms, Atlanta, Georgia, talked about the movement sweeping the country now to make a change in Leadership. Our vote is our voice. Elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris was the message.
John Legend and Common perform – a song.
John Meachem, Historian and Author, ” A country driven by the best, a country governed by reason – with empathy, grace, and an open mind Joe Biden can open the next chapter of our great nation. Choice goes straight to the nature of the Soul of America” – his message.
Rep Deb Haaland, (D) New Mexico, the first native Americans elected to the Congress said : ” Get involved, register for voting, and vote without fail are the ways we need to elect our leader now. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris can see us through the crisis towards a better future” – was her message.
Sarah Cooper, author and comedian, performed – a song.
Senator Cory Booker, (D) NJ, said : ” Together we will work, together we will fight, together we will preserve safety, and together we will rise. America together is the goal “.
Dr Vivek Murthy, Surgeon General, said : ” Joe Biden is the leader to look out for my family and to heal the nation. Commitment to one another is not just patriotism, but a healer “.
Michael Bloomberg, (D) former Mayor, ran for President in 2020 : ” Freedom, Democracy, and Liberty are the reasons we went to War, and not for expansion. Integrity, safety, and competence are now the need in the White House, and Joe Biden/Kamala Harris will do this.” He made a powerful case for electing Joe Biden by citing the inadequacies of the present incumbent and also recording the accomplishments of Joe Biden on economic growth, military support, tax programs and healthcare.
Senator Tammy Baldwin, (D) Wisconsin, ” What kind of America we want this to be ; a nation that plans, builds, and moves forward without looking back is what we need ; a nation that is free from COVID-19 ; a nation where the American dream lives ; is what we need ; Joe Biden and Kamala Harris can give us that ” – she emphasized.
Ed Good, veteran of WW II, 95 years old and a Republican for decades now said he will vote for Joe Biden.
Senator Tammy Buckworth, (D) Illinois, said : ” Joe Biden is one who understands the risks military personnel take and is ready to protect them , and it is his kind of Leadership that is in great need now “.
Pete Buttigieg, (D) former Presidential candidate, South Bend Mayor, while calling the election as the contest for the soul of the nation and a struggle said people crave for a country that can live up to the truth and bring our prominence back. He supports Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to give to the people a better future.
Accepting his nomination as President, Joe Biden described the moment as an American moment and not a political moment. He called Donald Trump as a failure and urged a change calling this election as the “Life Changing Election”. Character, compassion, decency, science, and democracy are all on the ballot and the choice of people has never been more important than it is now.
Figure below represents his leading principles for governance :
There are three elements constituting the triad : (a) FDR’s New Deal Measures ; (b) National Strategy for COVID-19 control ; and (c) Economic, Racial, Healthcare, and Climate Justice for all.
Building on Healthcare ; Education for best job in 21st century ; Childcare ; Student Loans ; Elder’s stay in home with dignity ; Equal pay for women ; Raising wages ; Climate Change requirements with enormous opportunities for clean jobs – are the ones he will likely concentrate on. Social Security is a Sacred Obligation/Promise that he will try to preserve. Medicare also will be preserved.
Significant to note was the fact that he echoed the “family” strength which Kamala Harris stressed in her speech yesterday. He said : “Kamala Harris is a powerful voice in America now. Her story is an American story. She has the courage to overcome any obstacle. We both get our strength from our families. She is a great second lady and will be a great first lady too for this nation.”
Figure below represents the Score on the elements based on his speech today :
Joe Biden’s aim is to restore the promise of America to all. The way forward for all the above (listed in fig) for a better future is to stay “United”.
He ended his speech saying : ” This is our moment to make hope and history. The darkness shall end tonight. We will make it united. I promise you, God bless you.”
” Dieu avec nous “
Friday, August 21, 2020 – 10.29 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” We the people are proud of the promise of our future “.
America made history tonight.
Celebrations to the Centennial of the Women’s right to vote ; Celebrations to the first virtual convention in Election history ; Celebrations to the mail-in voting to be the primary mode in this election ; Celebrations to the tide, trends, and the growing mobility with strong currents of social advancements emerging in the nation ; and Celebrations to the woman Vice Presidential nominee of 2020 General Election.
Third session of the convention started with Bennie Thompson, (D) Convention Chairman, welcoming delegates and all people.
Governor Tony Evers, (D) Wisconsin, cited kindness, empathy, and humility embedded in our sense of purpose in electing Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in this important election. When we vote things change ; things get better ; and the dignity of our people rises – he said.
A video featuring survivors of Gun Violence was shown marking one of the Democratic core principles.
Gabrielle Giffords, (D) former US Representative, who made a splendid recovery after a gun shot in 2011, supported Joe Biden with words : ” He’ll be there for everyone ; we should fight together ; we must elect Joe Biden”.
Governor of New Mexico, Michelle Lujan Grisham, expressed confidence that under Joe Biden, America will become a clean and safe nation. Joe Biden will rejoin the Climate Agreement and will save all of us from the twin existential threats of Trump Presidency and his neglect of the environment. Our choice is Joe Biden.
Billie Eilish, singer and songwriter performed “My Future”, a song play in support of Joe Biden.
Hillary Clinton, former Secretary of State under President Barack Obama, raised points relevant to current debates which needs to be complimented. Her main point delved on redeeming the promise of America led by Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. She recounted the event in 2016 when Donald Trump asked “what have we got to lose ?”. She said : ” Jobs, safety, our loved ones, leadership, and USPS are the things we will lose”. Breaking down barriers and expanding the circle of future possibilities are the needs of concentration now, according to her.
Nancy Pelosi, first woman Speaker of the House, was proud that she broke the marble ceiling. She is unapologetic and unafraid in service. She felt proud that there are 105 women in the Congress now with nearly 90 being Democrats. ‘Guiding purpose of the House is Protecting People’. She saw Mitch McConnell and President Donald Trump standing in the way of : “beneficial laws, protection of people and progress, healthcare, education, climate change, and people sadety”. Emphasizing that when women succeed, America succeeds – she asked the people to ‘Remember the November’. Forward looking, and people sensitive Joe Biden ; and brilliant, committed, constitutionally strong and abiding Kamala Harris who deserve to be elected. It is hoped that her speech will be a valuable addition to listeners and voters.
Senator Elizabeth Warren : Marking Donald Trump’s Presidency and tenure as a dark chapter in American history, she concentrated on “Plans” to be given importance, specially, Childcare that is dear to her heart. Infrastructure for families is her favourite program to suggest. Plan carefully all the details that leaders will do in future – is her ‘mantra’ for success. She wants everyone to fight to get Joe Biden elected ; and stay in the fight to get things done after. Citizens will hope that everything will go as planned by the Democrats.
Barack Obama, former President : Speaking from Philadelphia with ‘Writing the Constitution’ as the background, Barack Obama conveyed his sincere feelings for the safety, health, and progress of all Americans in his speech. Despite coming from different places and different generations he saw in Joe Biden the respect, decency, dignity, character, and experience to make the present generation strong. He expressed confidence that the freedom and ideals of everyone will be preserved, protected, and defended under Joe Biden’s Leadership. Criticising President, Donald Trump’s actions as one more reality show to get personal attention with no interest in finding common ground on issues, he attributed the loss of jobs, lives, and even Institutions of democracy to his failure. Emphasizing that true strength comes by setting an example, he said Joe Biden can restore our standing in the world and bring words in our founding documents to life. Stay safe and God bless you, he ended.
(1) Barack Obama’s words may help trigger new ideas benefiting the party and the people ; (2) may help induce a new sense of pride in work among the administrators and people ; and (3) may help stimulate on-going discussions on issues of Governance.
Bennie Thompson, Convention Chairman, declared Kamala Harris elected as the Democratic Candidate for Vice President.
Senator Kamala Harris, Vice Presidential nominee : Expecting everyone to draw inspiration from the Centenary of Women’s right to vote ; citing the women leaders who have made the country proud ; tracing her background as an immigrant when her mother came to U.S.A. first and married a Jamaican after falling in love – Kamala Harris dwelt on the virtues of “Family” as fundamental to every human being in the world. ” I accept your nomination for VP ” – she confirmed, even while quoting her mother’s words : ” Service to others is life’s purpose and meaning”.
A vision that Joe Biden cares ; a country united in the fundamental belief that every individual’s dignity and welfare count the most – will be her vision too. America is known to face challenges and celebrate triumphs ; the country today experiences loss of normalcy, loss of certainty, and loss of opportunities. There is no vaccine for racism ; we have to do it by work only.
(1) Kamala Harris’s Observations may help kindle a new sense of enthusiasm among the people ; (2) her Observations may exactly be the ones what the people wanted to hear ; and (3) her Observations may motivate people to stick with her ideals and that of the party.
Conclusion : ” Voices of Speakers to Voices of Voters ” from now. My Unity score is 70/30.
“Dieu avec nous”
Thursday, August 20, 2020 – 10.29 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit : ” Commitment, Confidence, and Conviction are the three C’s for success “.
It was a Momentous occasion on a Special day of Colourful participation. Momentous because of the growing consensus of opinions for the nation moving forward ; Special because of the nomination process detailed in terms of national delegate count statewide ; and Colourful because of the proceedings full of variety in a way making the entire day exciting and interesting.
There were many speakers.
Stacey Abrams, former Georgia Governor candidate, in her address called for responsibility and accountability and urged that we should win ; Democrats should win.
Sally Yates, former Acting Attorney General, held that Public Service is intended to defend the Constitution. Integrity, compassion, service, and kindness are the qualities of Joe Biden that make us want him to be our Leader.
Senator Chuck Schumer, (D) Minority Leader, said : “Winning the battle for the soul of our nation with Joe Biden as President is our goal”. A man of integrity and honour for our country’s values; we can all have a brighter future and a new day with him as Leader.
Late President Kennedy’s daughter ( Caroline Kennedy ) and grandson addressed the Convention with a clear call that we must elect Joe Biden.
Jimmy Carter and wife Rosalyn Carter addressed the Convention with the words : “Right person for the moment in our nation’s history is Joe Biden”.
Bill Clinton, former President, while declaring that my choice is Joe Biden, advised concentration and not distraction. He provided an economic recovery map based on his own experiences, of what happened in 2009, and of what can be done with Joe Biden’s vision suited to our times and changes now. He was honest and sincere even while encouraging people with his words. Criticisms that strike at the heart of policies should be assessed properly. He averred that Joe Biden is the right candidate who will build, back up, and do better for the nation. His speech gave matters of substance for Joe Biden’s Leadership. In doing all these, he also personally established himself as a staunch Democratic Guru.
Tom Perez, Democratic National Committee Chairman, and Rep Bennie Thompson, (D) rolled out the process of nomination with important members seconding.
Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, (D) NY, in her nominating speech said : ” Reclaiming our Democracy with Systemic Solutions in our Crisis Situation is important “.
Joe Biden wins the democratic nomination and officially nominated as the Democratic Candidate for the post of President. He secured 3558 delegates and Bernie Sanders secured 1151 delegates.
A video on the highlights of Joe Biden’s history was shown.
John Kerry, Former Secretary of State under President Barack Obama, in his speech said : “America deserves a President who will be looked upto and not lost out”. Our military wants a President who can stand up for them. Get nation together with strength and humility if you want to take actions on your plans and programs, he added. Courageous Americans have done what is right for America, and this is the time to exhibit the same to restore our Strength in the world. Nation now remains isolated. We are exceptional because we do exceptional things. Only Joe Biden can lead America the way it is needed. His speech must have helped forge the “Unity” that the party hopes to derive at this juncture.
Colin Powell, former Secretary of State under President George W Bush, glorified the values he learnt as the same he shared with Joe Biden’s parents ; as the values that define Joe Biden, urging the need for restoring the values to the White House. If we have to stand up to our adversaries, we also need to restore our alliances and hold our ideals dear to hearts. His appeal may have an added element to the requirements of the Democrats.
A video on late Senator John McCain and Joe Biden capturing their moments of ‘friendship’ was shown. They served in Congress together for decades. “Trust, International Relations, and the Promise of America have been the qualities that brought them together. They have shown values and what it means for the nation. This is important in Politics also. Some of their values are adherent to either parties like governance, trust, and participation.” They got complimented in their lives too is amazing. They adjusted extremely well to the situations demanding respect or disagreement with aplomb. The general expectation is that it will make a great impact among voters to set Joe Biden apart from Donald Trump.
Jill Biden, Wife of Joe Biden, was superb and articulate explaining the manner in which a broken home is made clean and how the same strategic steps could be adopted in the governance of a nation. With love and understanding ; with bravery and unwavering strength – our goals can be achieved is the essence here. Describing her life’s journey, she compared the family and governance with interesting parallels between them linking their experiences with what can be achieved nationally during this critical period. Leadership worthy of nation is imperative to come out of this pandemic. This is what Joe Biden will fight for. He will do for every American family what he did for us. Keep the Promise of America for all of us. Her short speech was a study in academics and practice at a higher level in Administration in general.
A perfect end to the proceedings of an eventful day.
Conclusion : The much sought “Unity” that the Democratic Party wants to take out of this Convention is gaining momentum. My subjective rating of “Unity” at the end of Day 2 stands at 65/35.
” Dieu avec nous “
Wednesday, August 19, 2020 – 10.21 a.m. ( IST)
Tidbit : ” We need a leader who can keep America Safe “.
Democratic National Convention kicked off in style today even as in-person event was cancelled. Theme of the Convention is “Unity and Opportunity”.
If 2016 Democratic National Convention was held hard on the heels of the resignation of Denis Wassermann Schultz as Chairman ; wikileaks e:mail expose putting the party under a cloud ; frequent fragmented protests in a few places prior to the convention looking like a patient ill – today it is hot on the heels for a set of three different reasons : first, moments of anger, agony, and activism as people enter into a great time of uncertainty ; second, with COVID-19 rampant in most parts of U.S.A. in critical time for anyone to protect one’s own mind and health ; and third, at a time of conflicts worldwide accelerating the Global Competition for Leadership bringing about transformations in every big nation. The Democratic Party’s chief interest may well be on the right side of future primarily to Americans at large.
Rep Gwen Moore (D) Wisconsin began the event welcoming, wishing, and winning all people in favour of the Democrats.
Mayor, Muriel Bowser, (D) District of Columbia, said : “Reimagining the nation is her desire, while undoing the losses that terrorised racism “.
George Floyd’s family observed a moment of silence in memory of George Floyd.
Governor, Andrew Cuomo, (D) New York : Encouraged by the positive response of his stewards and public during the critical period of Corona pandemic, he spoke sincerely about the support, courage, and hope while speaking his mind and advocating cautiousness in overcoming the challenges of COVID-19 and making the environment easier for people. Sure, his extremely positive response would have been believed in equal faith and support by the people. He was opposed to the Trump doctrine of “Deny, Ignore, and politicise the victims”. He also said in praise of the State’s efforts : ” Our way works”. Adding, ” American’s eyes opened, Government matters, and Leadership matters “, he emphasized the need for someone who can bring up, not tear us apart. Hence, his support to Joe Biden who can ‘restore the soul of America’ and whom the country needs exactly now.
Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, (D) Michigan, said : ” Action begets action, progress begets progress”, citing the safeguarding actions that were expertly handled by Barack Obama and Joe Biden in 2009 as the greatest strategy. She justified her strong support while talking about Joe Biden as one working for the people – ordinary employees, utility workers, truck drivers, auto workers, teachers, healthcare workers, doctors. … .. and his uncanny ability to find extraordinary strength to do the work.
Sara Gideon (D) Maine senate candidate ; Meg Whitman, CEO, ; Rep James Clyburn (D) Majority whip, Charleston, South Carolina ; Doug Jones, Senator (D) Alabama ; Sen Catherine Cortez Masto, (D) Nevada ; Cedric Richmond, (D) Louisiana – all spoke in support of Joe Biden.
Sen Amy Klobuchar, (D) Minnesota, spoke highly of Joe Biden, and said Kamala Harris is her true friend.
Republicans who spoke included : John Kasich, former Ohio Governor ; Christine Whitman, former New Jersey Governor ; and Susan Molineri, former US Representative.
Sen Bernie Sanders, Vermont, former Presidential candidate called for an unprecedented choice during this unprecedented moment. He strongly emphasized that the movement he started has grown well ; radical ideas as dismissed earlier have now become real and valid. In his criticism of Donald Trump he was powerfully eloquent stressing that : ” Unthinkable is becoming the norm now ; negligent response to the pandemic ; killing the USPS in critical time ; crushing the economy during the Election ; alluding to the possibility of delay in election ; and even going to the extent of not being ready if he lost ” are all recipe for the jeopardy of our people. We need to fight the man who rejects Science and puts our people to catastrophe. Joe Biden will work on his first day : ” To build an America which is more equitable, more compassionate, and more inclusive.” Future of our democracy, future of our economy, and future of our planet are at stake now ; and for this reason alone we must all come together to elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Prize of failure will be great to imagine. Consistency, clarity, and emphasis marked his speech.
Mchelle Obama, former First Lady, made a committed speech fitting the occasion and time. It centered around “Unity” with a clear purpose of the desired end : Elect Joe Biden as the true defender of democracy and governance of America now.
Hghlighting her famous words of her 2016 Convention speech, ” when they go low, we go high “, she specially emphasized and elaborated with the following : (1) standing against hatred and the perpetrators ; (2) not just utter nice words, but take the harder tasks looking at a different lens ; and (3) unlock the shackles of mistrust swiftly. She really argued her case with tremendous passion.
Living the promise is the story of America. Beauty, pain, struggle, and justice are all embedded in this struggle. Each of the 330 million lives in this country has meaning and worth. Being President reveals who you are and election will reveal who we are too. Chaos, division, and lack of empathy mark the present leadership and this is what needs to be changed immediately.
If we don’t make a change in election, we cannot change the chaos. Forceful speech squarely insisting on getting to the audience party’s thoughts and actions.
Conclusion : What I learnt : 1. “America needs a leader who can fight for Unity ; a leader who can fight for racial justice and equality ; a leader who can fight for the rights of people ; and a leader who is decent, dignified, and transparent.” – according to the Democrats.
2. Democrats consider this election to be bigger than Politics than ever before. and
3. The Convention took a planned path from Stress, to Satisfaction, to the Seventh Heaven. First few events are expression of sorrows and sufferings for those who sacrificed reflecting the stress ; Governor, Andrew Cuomo’s was one of satisfaction, courage, and conviction in their handling of the COVID-19 threat ; and the speeches of Bernie Sanders and Michelle Obama are the elixir of encouragement taking everyone to be in the Seventh Heaven.
Theme Unity Score from me is 55/45.
” Dieu avec nous “
Tuesday, August 18, 2020 – 10.21 a.m. (IST)
Tidbit: ” 60 years back Democrats had provided more jobs, stock markets were extremely healthy, and GDP grew 1.5 times faster than now “. Jennifer Granholm, Former Michigan Governor.